Veggie Cottage Pie
This is a store cupboard staple that ensures no one will be hungry leaving the dinner table while still having a really healthy, wholesome meal. The addition of a sweet potato into the mash creates great texture and creaminess.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 300ml stock, chicken or vegetable
- 2 tsp marmite
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 100g peas
- 2 tins green lentils
- 600g floury potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 200g sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 slice of bread, blitzed into crumbs
- Preheat the range to 200C.
- Add the potato and sweet potato to a saucepan of boiling water on the boiling plate. Leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Strain and mash with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place the oil in a large pan on the boiling plate. Once hot, add the onions and garlic. After 3 minutes add the carrots, thyme, marmite, tomato puree and lentils. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Blitz the bread into fine crumbs in a food processor, if using.
- Pour the lentil mix into a tray and layer the mash on top. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, drizzle with oil and bake for 30 minutes.