Irish Honey & Orange Cake
The clear Irish honey is much more neutral tasting than the standard honey from the supermarkets. The almonds and orange rind provide enough moisture without the need for extra fat, making it a perfect afternoon treat.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 oranges, skins washed
- 125g caster sugar
- 5 eggs, free-range if possible
- 50g Irish honey
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp bread soda
- 225g ground almonds
- 1 tsp orange blossom, optional
- For the syrup
- 40g Irish honey
- 3 tbsp water
- For the icing
- 75g icing sugar
- 1 orange, juiced
- Preheat the range to 180C.
- Place the oranges in a saucepan and pour in water until 3/4 of the way full. Next, remove pips and blend in the food processor.
- Whisk the sugar and the eggs in a bowl using an electric whisk until just foaming. You don’t want to add in too much air as the lack of gluten will result in a sunken bake.
- Next, add in the rest of the ingredients and the pureed oranges.
- Pour into a large baking tray in the top oven for 30 minutes.
- Once out of the oven immediately poke holes in the bake with a skewer and drizzle in the honey.
- Mix the icing and orange together and drizzle over once cooled.