Folláin Blackberry Frangipane Tart
The berries and jam can be changed to suit what’s in season; gooseberries, for example, offer a tart alternative. The golden brown sugar provides a deep caramel taste. Serving with a dollop of natural yoghurt balances out the sweetness of the blackberries and heat of the ginger perfectly. The absorbency of the almonds will keep your pastry crisp and buttery.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45-50 minutes
Ingredients For the pastry
- 175g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 75g cold butter, cubed
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- For the filling
- 250g white chocolate
- 75g butter softened
- 75g golden brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 75g + 1 tbsp ground almonds
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 200g blackberries
- 400g blackberries jar
- Preheat the range to 200°C.
- For the pastry, rub the flour and butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the sugar, egg and ½–1 tbsp of water. Combine the mixture into a dough.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface 1-2mm thick. Place the pastry into a 28cm round tart tin and prick the base with a fork.
- Next, make the frangipane filling. In a bowl beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Stir in the eggs, ground almonds, almond extract and ginger.
- Sprinkle the tbsp of almonds along with the bottom (to keep the pastry crisp). Spread the jam over the base of the pastry, spoon the frangipane mixture on top and place the blackberries on top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until the tart is golden brown.