The Perfect Roast
This step by step guide will allow you to create the perfect roast. It can often be stressful to juggle the different aspects however by following this guide you will end up with a sumptuous dinner that will impress everyone. The range comes into its own here as it handles everything from the gravy made in the roasting tin to warming the plates.
Prep time: 1 minutes
Cook time: 1 hrs 45 mins
For the lamb
1.75 kg leg of lamb
5 cloves of garlic
6 sprigs of rosemary
For the roast potatoes
- 12 medium floury potatoes,
- rinsed and peeled
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 head of savoy cabbage
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp tamari/ soy sauce
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Prick the lamb and insert slivers of the garlic into the slits. Layer the rosemary on top of the lamb before covering in tinfoil. Click on the lightbulb for specific times. Place in the top oven and wait until 1 hr remains on the lamb cooking time before proceeding.
- Place the peeled potatoes into a saucepan 1/2 filled with cold water on the boiling plate for 15-20 minutes so until the outside is fluffy but the inside still hard. While they are bubbling away place a pan with 3 tbsp oil into a roasting tray in the top oven.
- Drain the potatoes and place into the hot tray with the salt in the top oven for 45-55 minutes until crispy and golden. Toss halfway through.
- Take the tinfoil off the lamb 20 minutes before it is to be removed from the oven. This will allow the natural sweetness of the lamb to caramelise on the top to make a beautiful crust.
- Once browned, take the lamb out of the oven and drain out the juice into a gravy jug. Cover the joint with foil for 20 minutes.
- Allow the fat to float to the top of the gravy jug before pouring the juices back into the roasting tray and place on the simmering plate along with 500ml water.
- Mix the gravy granules with 2 tbsp of water to make a paste and stir into the roasting tray. Leave to simmer until everything is ready.
- Put plates into the warming oven.
- Chop, using a knife or food processor, the cabbage finely.
- In a dry wok/frying pan toast the sesame seeds for 3 minutes until the aromas are released and set the seeds aside.
- In the same pan pour in 30ml of water and tip in the cabbage and tamari for 5 minutes. Stir regularly.
- Remove the plates from the range, carve the meat. Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top of the cabbage.