Smoked Salmon and Gubbeen Cheddar Quiche
This is a special treat and is lovely for a weekend treat when you have a little bit more time on your hands for baking. The pastry can always be doubled and the second dough placed in the freezer. Take it out the night before you wish to use it and begin from step five.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
For the pastry:
- 225g plain flour
- 225g butter, chilled
- 100ml iced water
- Baking beans or uncooked
For the filling:
- 250g Gubbeen smoked cheese
- 150g smoked salmon
- 4 large free range eggs
- 150ml milk
- 150ml single cream 150ml milk
- 150ml single cream
- 5 sprigs of chives
- freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: 2 handfuls chopped kale
- Rub together flour and cubed butter very roughly in a bowl
- Add a small drop of water just enough for it to form it into a dough without it being overworked. Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Lightly flour a work surface and shape the dough into a rectangle. Roll it out until 3 times its original length.
- Fold the top third back into the centre, then bring the bottom third up to meet it, so your dough has three layers. Give the dough a quarter turn and roll out again until three times the length, fold again as before and chill it for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Remove the pastry case from the fridge and line the base of the pastry with baking parchment and then fill it with baking beans or uncooked rice. Place on a baking tray and bake blind for 20 minutes on the middle shelf of the top oven. Remove the beans/ rice and parchment and return to the oven for another five minutes to cook the base.
- Reduce the temperature of the oven to 160C.
- Sprinkle the cheese into the pastry base and add the kale if you are using it. Place the smoked salmon over them over the top.
- Combine the eggs with the milk and cream in a bowl and season well. Pour over the salmon. Sprinkle the chives over the top and trim the edges of the pastry. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until set. Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes. Serve slices with seasonal greens.