Cumin chicken, honeyed beetroot and barley salad
This is a hearty salad that’s full of flavour. This is a simple mid-week favourite and the beetroot is a delicious source of vitamin C.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1hr
- 400g beetroot, scrubbed and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 100g semi-sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp ground cumin
- 1 heaped tsp mild chilli powder
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets
- 150g pearl barley
- 1 Lemon, squeezed
- 1 small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- Preheat range to 200°C. Place pearl barley into a large pan with 500ml of water on the boiling plate. Bring to the boil for 20 minutes. Keep an eye on the water level and top up if it starts sticking.
- Move to the simmering plate for 40 minutes until the barley has softened but is still slightly firm. Drain, rinse and leave to cool.
- Place the chicken in a large freezer bag with 1 tbsp of oil along with the cumin and chilli.
- On one side of a large tray, place the beetroot tossed in 1 tbsp of oil and honey and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the chicken and bake for 40 minutes and, once slightly cooled, pull the cooked chicken apart with 2 forks. Don’t worry that the chicken has absorbed the pink dyes, the final effect will be lovely.
- Add the barley, tomatoes and lemon to the tray and stir.
- Tip the tray contents into a salad bowl and garnish with coriander.