Báirín Breac (Irish Tea Brack)
A sweet treat that is perfect with a cup of tea. Our Firebird Range Cooker evenly bakes and gives a great rise to cakes, muffins, and loaves. Make sure to soak your dried fruit in the tea overnight so your brack is moist and bursting with flavor.
I have always added figs as it gives the cake extra moisture. The range provides really even distribution of cake and prevents the top from burning despite the slow bake.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 100g raisins
- 100g sultanas
- 50g figs
- 50g candied peel
- 2 tea bags
- 150g light brown sugar
- 150g self raising flour
- 1 egg
- Place the raisins, sultanas, figs, candied peel and sugar in a bowl along with the tea bags and 300ml of water. Cover with a tea twel and allow to soak overnight (click on the lightbulb if you need this cake in your mouth sooner!).
- Preheat the oven to 150C.
- Remove the tea bags and stir in the egg . Next fold in the flour until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 2lb greased loaf tin. Level the mixture with a spatula and bake in the top oven for 1hr.
- Enjoy buttered with a cup of tea.
If time doesn’t allow for overnight soaking simply place all the ingredients for step 1 into a saucepan and place on the boiling plate for 30 minutes at 150C.